Thursday, 31 December 2015
AS IF 2015 is basically over! I wrote a facebook status earlier about how the only thing I've managed to achieve this year is how to wing my eyeliner and it kinda just made me want to write on my little, accidentally abandoned blog. I did actually learn how to wing my eyeliner but I also learnt a lot of life lessons. Saying that, I go from a thinking I'm on top of the world, completely in control of my life, basically Beyonce kinda person to wanting to be 9 years old again. Life, you're really weird.
So while I'm waiting for my fake tan to dry, here are eleven things you can do in 2016 that will make you a happier you:
1. Always trust your instinct - 99% of the time you will be right.
2. Be happy you're an adult - you're allowed to have chocolate for breakfast and nobody will question you (do it in secret). You can leave your house at whatever time you want and nobody will tell you you can't. THERE'S LITERALLY SO MANY PERKS TO BEING GROWN UP.
3. Be more forgiving - it's silly to hold a grudge. It's even sillier when you miss the person you're holding the grudge over and I bet they miss you too.
4. If you like someone, tell them - life is too short for games unless they're Scrabble or Cluedo, obvs. Just be real because at the end of the day, you've really got nothing to lose.
5. Give a conversation your full attention - I'm so guilty of having my phone in my hand 24/7. I'm making a conscious effort to stop what I'm doing and put my phone down when somebody speaks face to face with me because lets face it, that person isn't going to be in the world forever.
6. Be thankful - always always always be appreciative of what you do have. There's always someone in a worse position than you. Be thankful even when you've just applied fake tan, have eaten some cereal, tried to drink the rest of the milk out of the bowl, have dribbled milk down your chin and it's new years eve and now your tan is going to be patchy (thank you, God).
7. Don't expect people to understand what you're going through - whether it's a family member, friend or person you've just met, some people just can't relate and that's ok. Don't hold it against them.
8. Act on impulse - everyone thinks this is a bad thing but if you want something in the moment, you want it. If you don't do it, you're left thinking 'what if'. If the thing you do on impulse is wrong, you've learnt a lesson. There is literally no down side.
9. It's ok for a girl to make the first move - we live in a world where a boy can get criticised for holding a door open for a girl (erm, what?) but a girl won't text a boy first? Girl, you text him and then text him again when he doesn't reply, then phone him and then leave him an angry voicemail. Joking, but seriously, do text him first. It's refreshing and exciting.
10. Be happy for people - when everyone is getting promotions, getting engaged and having babies and you've only just accomplished the perfect water to pot noodle ratio, it's easy to be bitter. DON'T BE BITTER. Be happy for them because that will be you soon. You just need to wait your turn. It's not about competing in life.
11. Love yourself - anyone else singing Biebs right now? Seriously though, you're you. Nobody else can be you and nobody else will love you more than you love yourself. This sentence confuses me a bit but I think it makes sense (please tell me it does).
Hope 2016 is the best year for everyone!